Wednesday, February 6, 2008

T-Minus 3 days...


**QUOTE OF THE DAY**-- 
Alfalfa- "Why am I soaking wet?"
Porky- "Don't worry, Alfalfa.  I used to have the same problem."

After a 9am wake-up, a shower, an egg-turkey-cheese-salad-tomato sandwich and 6 cups of coffee I have begun to tackle that endless search for the best way to pack for 27 months...Although all that is necessary for survival is available in Uganda, there are many little comforts such as the boxers with pumpkin pie logos or my 50% off clearance after-shave from Fred Meyers that I do not dare forget. Yes yes I know I could go without these items, but lets face it, if I have the room to pack them, and my bags are underweight, why not bring a little bit of home with me.  The hardest part of packing for this journey is the organising of all my possessions.  Imagine packing a little of everything you have experienced in your life in to two bags (plus a carry-on) and how do you organise that?  ZIP-LOC BAGS!!!!!  Anyways after half a dozen trips to REI and a couple of trips to Powell's Book Store, I feel as though most of my shopping needs have been met.  Once I have gotten through one solid run of packing I will post a packing list.
It's surreal to imagine that in a matter of a week I will be off US soil and commencing a journey that for the majority is only seen through photographs.  Any and every emotion imaginable has passed through my head not once, or twice, but constantly throughout each and everyday.  Sometimes I find myself just sitting in a daze with hardly a 'single" thought going through my head, disallowing me to really grasp the short amount of time I will be living this current life.  Believe me I am excited though, the constant stream of thoughts is not of fright or uneasy bowels, but instead of anticipation of a whole new world, a new fantastic point of view.  No one to tell us no, or where to go, or say we're only dreaming...Oops, that is from Aladdin...But either way I hope that as I write to you all I can somehow let you all live vicariously through me via my words...
Well I gotta get back to packing, watching Little Rascals and drinking too much coffee.  But I will post on here a couple more times before I embark over the frigid Atlantic to the planet Africa...That's right, it's another planet, I bet you guys never knew that.  They actually found out that Pluto was right below Australia, and not light-years away in space, that is why it is not a planet anymore.  Wow I am..nevermind.  Bye for now!
OH...And the picture attached to this is the living room in my parents house as I attempt to gather all my belongings...

1 comment:

Josh said...

I thought NZ was below australia :O